Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Couple Blogs To Share

I have been so busy lately getting everything ready for my Mom's visit this week, haven't had very much time to do anything else.  But, I found a few blogs that I would like to share with everyone.  They are both by people that have been affected by ALS by their parents having the disease.  As a child, it's never easy thinking of the day that you will loose a parent.  Your parents are supposed to be your rock, they are the glue that hold everything together.  You should be married, have kids, etc. before you even have to worry about the day that you have to say goodbye.  This disease is non forgiving.  It is not concerned with the chaos it causes.  I cannot imagine having to live with the parent as you watch them deteriorate, it is so hard seeing my Mom going through this from so far away.  It takes a really courageous person to be able to face this disease and watch it progress.  And for that, Mary, your courage and strength amaze me.

      Mary is a teenage girl whose father was diagnosed with ALS.  That news alone is such a blow, you can only hope for time.  The thing about ALS is that you just never know, you never know how long you have, or what will happen next.  You really can do nothing but hope.  You hope that you have that hopeful time frame left, 3 to 5 years.  Mary's Dad had one of the faster progressing cases, he passed away approximately 6 months later.  I can only imagine the pain and grief that this child is facing.  Well, I found her on the ALS Forums and learned her story.  I've read her blog and I just had to share it with everyone.  Thank you, Mary, for sharing your story with me.  I wish there were a way to make this easier, but reality is that it just isn't easy, and there is nothing you can do to make it an easier.  But, as time passes, I wish nothing but happiness for you.  If you ever need a friend to talk to, cry with, etc. you can come to me.  Maybe if the children of ALS stick together we can help each other through the hard times and celebrate the good times.  This is Mary's Life In A Nightmare...
     My Life In A Nightmare

     Allison is 26 years old and her father was diagnosed with ALS in August of 2009.  I don't know much about her story.  But when it comes down to it, in her time of grief, she is thinking of others.  Her blog is a place where we can go and support one another.  ALS doesn't care about the family, it doesn't care about the children, friends, etc.  It is unforgiving and will not slow down for anyone.  She has chosen to start a teen/young adult support group for the children of ALS.  I know that having a 9 year old of my own, I would never wish her to go through this.  But, now that she has no choice other than to see the progression of this disease in her Grandmother, I know that I will at times need the support of others to help her get through this.  Allison, I just want to thank you for thinking of others in your time of grief.  This is Allison's blog....
     Children of ALS

And with that, I will begin to close this entry.  Mary has a few songs that she found listed in her blog and the words are beautiful so I decided to share.  Mary, I'm not sure of your religious background, and I'm no hardcore holy roller, but I believe your Daddy is looking down and watching you every day.  I'm sure he is so very proud of the strength you show each day as you deal with the loss of your father.  Just know, that although he may not be walking on this earth with us anymore, he is always with you..... So, with that I will leave you to watch the videos and listen to the songs.  I hope you all have a great day, and keep your heads up. 

 Lindsey


No comments: